During these uncertain times, we know that AATC members are primarily focused on their employees’ and residents’ health. We fully expect the vast majority of renters to pay their rent (for voucher holders their portion of rent) throughout this COVID-19 crisis. AATC strongly encourages landlords to be compassionate and understanding if a renter is directly impacted by COVID-19 and are unable to pay rent—in these instances, we urge landlords to waive late fees and establish payment plans with their impacted tenants.
It is of the opinion of AATC, TAA, and NAA that, as property owners, you should approach resident payment issues in accordance with current laws and directives, but do so with kindness and understanding. TAA has created forms that will make it easy for you to allow your residents to make payment arrangements, etc. You can view and download those forms here: https://www.taa.org/resources/late-fee-waiver-payment-plan-sample-forms-for-dealing-with-covid-19/. (TAA member login required)
By referring residents to the resident portal on our website, they can review the information, seek financial assistance, or any other social or government assistance they are currently in need of. You can view and download these documents by clicking here: https://www.taa.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/TAA-Cororavirus-Renter-Resources-1.pdf
Here is a quick rundown of what is inside the TAA Resident Resources document:
- What should I do if I am unable to pay rent?
- Can I be evicted even though there is a public health crisis?
- I am a renter and need assistance paying my bills. Where can I go for help?
- If you are unable to pay your utility bills during this time of crisis, what should you do?
- Do I still need to pay rent even though evictions have been halted?
- What if I live in public housing authority property, affordable housing property or use Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8)?
- What should I do if I have to self-isolate in my apartment?
- What if have to move/apartment hunt during the pandemic?
- CDC Guidance on Amenities
- List of phone numbers per county/region
AATC will update information as it evolves in our community. Visit www.aatcnet.org for the most up-to-date information at any time.
For more information, contact Perry Pillow at firstname.lastname@example.org